Become a Referee
Soccer referees are professionals, and this is a great way to build many management, leadership, and decision-making skills, while you stay in shape making some income on the field and hopefully having fun!
How do I become a referee and officiate games for MWSRA?
- Each new referee must take the Entry Level Course with online and in-person sessions and pass the entry-level exam. Follow the instructions here: http://marylandreferees.com/msr2/?page_id=21
- After completing the course and passing the test, you will need to register with USSF.
- Once you pass the exam and are certified as a referee, purchase a Referee Starter Kit and any other gear to ensure you are prepared and professionally equipped for your games. You can buy your gear online through Official Sports. At a minimum, you should have the following:
- 3 jerseys (gold and two other colors), official shorts, 3-stripe black socks, and black athletic shoes;
- Flags, a whistle, a coin, a pen, yellow/red cards;
- A game booklet and game sheets to record information (goals, cards, injuries, etc.);
- A digital watch with a stopwatch function (2 watches are recommended). Do NOT use your phone as a game clock.
- Now you are ready to be a referee! Contact one of our assignors and introduce yourself to get started!
MWSRA is here to help you as you begin to referee games at many levels. Check out our New Referee Development Program and ask about our mentoring program, which pairs up new referees with qualified mentors who will come out to the fields and give you feedback to improve. If you have questions, don’t hesitate to ask!